Keaten house has introduced a workable stethoscope that runs with just an iPhone – no extra hardware needed. This puts a stethoscope always in reach.
Using breakthrough audio processing technology available only in iOS 6, Mobile Stethoscope uses advanced graphics to enable real time visualization of heart and breath sounds as they are recorded.
Usage is simple, start the app, and place the iPhone (iPads will also work) onto the skin. The sound is then visually displayed. Playback and listening ‘live’ during recording are both available.
Usage is simple as this 30 second video shows:
- Hold microphone on base of iPhone onto skin in chest area.
- Watch the screen, looking for 3 – 10 heart beats to be recorded.
- Press anywhere on the screen to stop recording.
- Pinch and zoom to get a few reasonably noise free heartbeats on the screen.
- Pick the action button, then ‘Trim to Displayed’.
- Listen – Headphones must be used! The tiny speaker on the iPhone cannot reproduce the low frequencies made by a heartbeat.
- Save your recordings for future use, email them to colleagues, replay them.
Tom Andersen, founder of Mobile Stethoscope says “Its an inexpensive stocking stuffer, great for those in any medical field, and also great for educational and student use.”