Mobile Stethoscope is an iPhone/iPod application that allows one to record accurate low noise heart, lung and bowel sounds. It does so without any external accessories. No stethoscope needed! – Or rather mobile stethoscope turns your iPhone into a stethoscope.
Its a stethoscope app for the iPhone/iPod/iPad. Performing the functions of an electronic digital stethoscope. Since it shows both a waveform display as well as recording the heartbeat, its suitable for the hearing impaired.
Usage is simple, just start the application in a quiet place:
- Hold microphone on base of iPhone onto skin in chest area.
- Watch the screen, looking for 3 – 10 heart beats to be recorded.
- Press anywhere on the screen to stop recording.
- Pinch and zoom to get a few reasonably noise free heartbeats on the screen.
- Pick the action button, then ‘Trim to Displayed’.
- Listen – Headphones must be used! The tiny speaker on the iPhone cannot reproduce the low frequencies made by a heartbeat.
- Save your recordings for future use, email them to colleagues, replay them.
Mobile Stethoscope is available at the Apple App Store:
This is an actual un – retouched audio file. The capture process was done by a medically untrained 16 year old. Made with the default settings on an iPhone 5 held directly on the chest. The link to the sample email page shows what an email sent from the device looks like.
Audio Sample- NOTE you will need headphones or a good set of speakers to hear the heart sounds recorded here. The tiny speakers on a laptop, or the truly microscopic speakers on a mobile phone/iPad, etc will not reproduce these sounds. This is also obviously the case when using the mobile stethoscope app.[audio http://mobilestethoscope.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012-11-12-19.42.02-Sound-4-s1.wav]